Friday, September 05, 2008

I have some sad news for my Nimblefingers ladies. Last weekend Dorothy Colvin (Dot) passed away. Dot started the group way back when, originally as a needlework group then expanding it to an "all types of needles" group. Dot was full of energy and always tried to give the group whatever they wanted. I know she was very proud of being able to offer a friendly and supportive group for mostly senior ladies (or ladies of all ages) where they could share and show off their needlework skills. Dot was very independent and completely non-traditional in her thinking--she always thought out of the box. I admired her greatly. I hoped that I could develop the independent spirit and the willingness and fearlessness to follow my dreams that she displayed in her lifetime. Dot and I were hired at the library at the same time, sharing a 1/2 time position. Dot always believed that there was a reason for everything so there must have been a reason we had been brought together in this way. Whatever that reason might be, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to get to know Dorothy Colvin.
And more sad news, Alberta, who we haven't seen much of lately, lost her husband this week. Roy joined us ladies several times at our luncheons and he struck me as a kind and gentle man with a sense of humor--just like Alberta. I know you will all join me in expressing my condolences to Alberta, Crystal, Nancy, Edie and all of the Pahl family.

No comments: